2011-06-08

Groundbreaking on the LVT&R!

Yesterday and today I spent some time on the initial "benchwork" for the LVT&R.

Since half of the railroad area is along walls, I'm opting to do shelf benchwork for that portion. Using Rubbermaid's twin track shelving brackets will give me more than enough support, plus it will make adding additional levels or lighting a breeze.

The tracks are now installed for the Allentown-Lehigh Water Gap section of the pike. It turns out that opting for extra support was a good idea: either the studs supporting the drywall in the basement aren't plumb or they don't extend all the way. About 5 of the upper or lower screws are using plastic wall anchors instead of screwing directly into the studs.

Also, in one case, the stud runs too close to the electrical outlet--the outlet cover was directly beneath the track. Since Rubbermaid doesn't make a 60" section of track, I cut one of the 72" sections to fit. (I could have used a 48" section, but that would have interfered with additional shelving (or a fiddle yard below.

I've been taking picture of the work in progress so I have documentation for the NMRA Achievement Program. I'm going to check measurements against my plans and cut the plywood shelving next. Once that's done, I'll get the pictures uploaded to Picasa.

In the future, I may replace this with cookie cutter roadbed to more realistically model the grades of the Lehigh Valley, but for now, simple flat top benchwork will get things moving--namely trains!

The next phase of the benchwork will be to mount twin track on the walls of the Lehigh Water Gap - Mauch Chunk segment of the pike. This will include a lift-out section across the Water Gap (which is literal in this case, since it's the location of the water main for our house.

Time to go back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment